Friday, October 07, 2005

"That" Guy

Do you ever have to deal with "that" guy?

You know who I'm talking about, some random guy who plops himself into your world and inserts his...ahem....wit and experience into your group of friend's conversation without asking.

In a word, I hate that guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being friendly to strangers but please don't assume you're part of my conversation with others.

So picture it, a sunny autumn around 6PM and I decide to meet my friends for a few cocktails. Because I drive from Irvine to Long Beach every weekday, sometimes I end up meeting my friends when they're a drink ahead of me.

I walk into the bar, do a quick scan of the loop and there he is, sitting smack dab in the middle of my group of friends.

THAT GUY.

Several problems with that guy:

1. He's in the seat that was intended for me.
2. He's in the middle of my friends, spouting off nonsense.
3. I can tell he's killing the mood. The look of sheer panic on all of my friends' faces tells me that.
4. He wont shut up.
5. Even the bartender is hiding in the back (making it extremely difficult for me to get a drink).
6. He doesn't make any sense.
7. NOBODY BELIEVES HE WAS A GO GO BOY IN 1912!
8. When we decide it's time to go have a cigarette (really to go outside and make fun of him), HE FOLLOWS US!

How does one handle THAT guy?