Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Primary/Back-up/Once in a while/Shot drinks


Whenever I go into the poodle, I am usually greeted by the Bartender who nearly 100% of the time begins to make me a Scotch & Water. Even still, you may have wanted to start with a single malt to to get right before you resort to well scotch.



Even still, 98% of the time, that's perfect and you take what he makes you and you're grateful, but every great once in a while, you want something different.



My back up drink is beer, for instance.


But how do you stop the bartender from making your primary drink in a polite manner?

Is one obligated to take the drink poured by the Bartender as not to incur their wrath?

Is it really alcohol abuse?

If a Scotch is poured on a bar, but no one is around to drink it, does it make a hound?


Once a week, I ask Scooter to make me a bloody mary for two very good reasons:


1) He can tell by the look on my face if I'd like a Scotch, a Bloody Mary, a Beer, or the almight shot of Tuoca. He's just that good. He knows by my greeting, my smile (or lack thereof), etc. I've never seen someone so in touch with my inner drunk.

2) I'm breathing. Seriously - he knows because I've told him that he's the only one in the city (now that Jordan's retired) that can make a Bloody Mary the way that IIIIIIIIIIII like them. Spicy enough to kill, vodka enough to drunken. Perfect combination.




Then, of course, there's the shot. Mine just so happens to be Tuoca. Others may take a dip in the healing glow of Scottie Water.







Whatever it is, I've hopefully establishing a pattern and wonder if the same is true for everybody?

Do we each have a:

a) Primary Drink?

b) Back-up Drink?

c) Once-in-a-while Drink?

d) Shot?

If so, I think we should name it. Our drinking repertoire needs a catchy name, worthy of being born at the Poodle.

Suggestions?

Prof.